by Jeffery Taylor, Aviation Consultant
WisDOT Bureau of Aeronautics
It will be another busy construction season this summer at Wisconsin airports. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Aeronautics (BOA) has more than $103 million worth of airport improvement projects scheduled, using a combination of federal, state and local dollars.
The airport construction process involves teamwork between BOA, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and airport owners – from initial planning to project completion.
The bureau guides airport development through a process that begins with broad policy planning and includes progressively more detailed elements of system planning, airport master planning, programming and, finally, individual airport construction. Through an agency agreement with the airport owner, the bureau oversees project planning, coordination, design, land acquisition and construction, as well as all financial transactions for an airport project.
Some of this year’s projects at air carrier or “primary” airports include:
• Central Wisconsin Airport, Mosinee (CWA) – Reconstruction and expansion of the auto parking lot to accommodate the upcoming terminal building expansion.
• Chippewa Valley Regional Airport, Eau Claire (EAU) – Realignment of connecting taxiways. This is part of a national FAA safety initiative to improve airfield geometrics, markings and signage to prevent pilots from mistakenly turning on to the wrong runway.
• Dane County Regional Airport, Madison (MSN) – Snow Removal Equipment (SRE) building construction.
• General Mitchell International Airport, Milwaukee (MKE) – Wrapping up four years of extensive runway safety area improvement projects.
• Outagamie County Regional Airport, Appleton (ATW) – Reconstruction of a portion of taxiway B, the parallel to runway 3-21 and repair of runway 12-30 pavement.
• Rhinelander-Oneida County Airport (RHI) – Clearing of obstructions in runway approaches.
Projects at general aviation airports include:
• Baraboo-Wisconsin Dells Airport, Baraboo (DLL) – Reconstruction of a portion of the parallel taxiway and the hangar taxiways.
• Crandon – Steve Conway Municipal Airport (Y55) – Reconstruction of runway 11-29.
• East Troy Municipal Airport (57C) – Reconstruction of runway 8-26.
• Mauston-New Lisbon Union Airport, New Lisbon (82C) – Phase two of construction of a hangar area.
• Merrill Municipal Airport (RRL) – Paving of the parallel taxiway for runway 7-25.
• Prairie du Chien Airport (PDC) – Reconstruction of the crosswind runway 11-29.
• Price County Airport, Phillips (PBH) – Reconfiguration of the runway intersection and construction of the parallel taxiway to runway 1-19.
• Rice Lake Regional Airport – Carl’s Field (RPD) – Expansion and reconstruction of ramps.
• Solon Springs Municipal Airport (OLG) – Installation of runway and taxiway lighting.
• Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport, Janesville (JVL) – Expansion of the terminal building.
• Tri-County Regional Airport, Lone Rock (LNR) – Seal coating and crack filling airport pavements.
• Waukesha County Airport/Crites Field, Waukesha (UES) – Reconstruction of taxiway D in the east corporate hangar area.
• Wittman Regional Airport, Oshkosh (OSH) – Completion of the perimeter road and replacement of portions of the perimeter fence.
All pilots are reminded to check NOTAMs before every flight. During a construction project, the availability of runways, NAVAIDS and other facilities required for a safe flight may be limited.