by Jeffery Taylor
WisDOT Aviation Consultant
It will be another busy construction season this summer at Wisconsin airports. The WisDOT Bureau of Aeronautics has over $113 million worth of airport improvement projects scheduled, using a combination of federal, state and local dollars.
The airport construction process involves teamwork between the WisDOT Bureau of Aeronautics, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and airport owners, from initial planning to project completion.
The bureau guides airport development through a process that begins with broad policy planning and includes progressively more detailed elements of system planning, airport master planning, programming and, finally, individual airport construction. Through an agency agreement with the airport owner, the bureau oversees project planning, coordination, design, land acquisition and construction, as well as all financial transactions for an airport project.
Some of this year’s projects at air carrier or “primary” airports include:
• Austin Straubel International, Green Bay (GRB) – Relocate and expand the ARFF (Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting) facility.
• Central Wisconsin Airport, Mosinee (CWA) – Phase 1 of the terminal building construction. Includes an addition on the west end, a parking lot and entrance road construction.
• General Mitchell International, Milwaukee (MKE) – Construct Runway 7R/25L safety area improvements, final phase of Runway 7R extension.
Projects at general aviation airports include:
• Door County Cherryland Airport, Sturgeon Bay (SUE) – Expand and rehabilitate existing terminal building.
• Iowa County Airport, Mineral Point (MRJ) – Construct taxiways for new hangar site.
• Kenosha Regional Airport – Replace airfield lighting and electrical vault.
• Merrill Municipal Airport (RRL) – Construct parallel taxiway, ramp and west hangar area, and a fueling facility.
• Platteville Municipal Airport (PVB) – Reconstruct Runway 15/33 and ramp.
• Sheboygan County Memorial Airport, Sheboygan (SBM) – Reconstruct Taxiway F (parallel to Runway 21).
• Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport, Janesville (JVL) – Phase 1 of the terminal building improvements. Includes south addition and parking lot construction. Taxiway A will also be reconstructed.
• Waukesha County Airport/Crites Field, Waukesha (UES) – Reconstruct Taxiway C, which runs parallel to Runway 18/36.
All pilots are reminded to check NOTAMs before every flight. During a construction project, the availability of runways, NAVAIDS and other facilities required for a safe flight may be limited.